Fire safety is an essential requirement that must be taken into account in design and construction of buildings. The use of polymeric building materials and coatings, thermal and sound insulations and other flammable materials has undergone rapid development in Iran in the past few years. In addition, there is a high demand in the country for construction of new houses, which has necessitated the building industry and authorities to build high-rise buildings and develop new cities. Hence, it has made it necessary and mandatory, more than ever before, to incorporate safety precautions and principles in all stages of building construction, i.e. design process, selection of building materials and systems, fire protection of structural elements and proper elaboration of details of building elements, etc.
Fire and Building Department of BHRC is responsible for conducting applied research projects on safety against fire and providing standards, regulations, codes of practice and guidelines relevant to fire safety in buildings. The Department directs its activities and efforts to enhance and support safety levels in buildings and to mitigate fire induced human losses and property damages.
- Conducting research activities in order to identify and/or improve the fire behavior of building materials
- Research on fire protection requirements of construction elements in different building spaces
- Providing standards, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines relevant to fire safety in buildings
- Study on fire dynamics in buildings and the relevant models.
- Applied researches in order to prevent and/or reduce the fires and conflagrations in cities after earthquakes.
- Studying and evaluating human behavior in fire.
- Conducting fire tests and evaluating the fire behavior (reaction to fire and fire resistance) of building materials, systems and elements.
- Testing and quality control of active fire protection systems.
- Holding training courses, publishing research and technical books, papers, notes, etc.
Fire and Building Department owns the first modern fire testing laboratory in Iran in the region. The department is capable of providing services and consultancy related to fire issues:
- Conducting researches and providing applied solutions for fire safety problems
- Testing and classifying of different building materials and products according to standard fire tests
- Carrying out fire resistance tests on the building and installation systems with maximum dimension of (1×1) m2 for different types of buildings
- Studying and providing consultancy in different fields of fire safety
- Providing standards, regulations and technical guidelines
- Holding seminars and training courses
- Laboratory and research services for issuing technical certificates for different building products
- Technical evaluation of building systems, products and new technologies according to fire regulations and standards
- Issuing evaluation reports and certificates for building materials and products in accordance with the related standards and regulations.
- Revision of the National Building Code, Part 3 (Protection of buildings against Fire)
- Fire classification and standardization of the building materials (National project)
- Production in laboratory and investigation on properties of some organic and inorganic fire protective coatings
- Investigation on fires after earthquakes in the world and providing a design guide for safety against fire in buildings, considering the probable earthquake effects (Sponsored by National Disaster Task Force, Earthquake and Land Slide Hazards Committee)
- Investigation on fire safety requirements for buildings of power transmission stations (63/20 kV) in Tehran (sponsored by Tehran Electrical Distribution Company).
- Providing proposed fire protection building codes and related guidelines
- Investigation on fire behavior of EPS building products and providing instructions for their usage in buildings
- Investigation on properties and applications of Polyurethane sandwich panels and thermal insulations in buildings and providing the related fire safety recommendations
- Cooperation in the project of “Establishment of comprehensive laboratory of thermal insulation materials” and providing necessary standards.
Standards and Instructions
- Providing standards (classification and test methods) of reaction to fire and fire resistance tests, fire dampers, standard graphic fire safety symbols and architectural drawings.
Laboratory facilities and equipment
Fire and Building Department tests the building materials and systems by using following test facilities and test methods:
- Cone calorimeter
- Surface Flame Spread
- Tests for quality control of EPS ceiling infill blocks
The following tests are also being installed in the fire laboratory of BHRC to provide fire test services:
- ISO Ignitability test,
- Bomb Calorimeter,
- Single Burning Item (SBI) test
- Fire resistance furnace (One meter cube).
Fire Protection Conference
Fire and Building Department holds a triennial National Conference on Protection of Buildings against Fire and two of these Conferences have been held so far.